YouTube just released a resource that’s an early Christmas present to marketers: The YouTube Creator Playbook for Brands. This guide lets businesses know how they can be more successful on YouTube by looking at the ingredients of the secret sauce that has made others successful on the video platform.
This is the third playbook that YouTube has created and it is the most updated as it contains segments of all the prior playbooks. The only thing missing from it is how to use other social platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter, to make your videos go even further.
It also provides some insights that help to dispel myths about how people have been successful in the past. Some tips include: ‘There is more to video then striving for your video to be viral’ and ‘Your videos will only be found in the way you want them to be found.’
The YouTube guide is broken down into seven sections, focusing on how to build and engage your viewers.
- Content Marketing as Part of Your Brand Strategy – this is deals with having a plan that fits your brand and speaks to your target audience. It encourages you to find unique content to earn the loyalty of your viewers and let them know you care about your content. Your videos should inspire, educate or entertain. The way you engage your viewers will help shape your videos.
- 10 Fundamentals to Create Content People Want to Watch – YouTube has found that creative ideas can have a big impact bringing in new viewers and introducing them to the rest of your content. 10 suggestions to help this are:
- Shareable Content – Connect with your viewer emotionally.
- Collaboration – By collaborating with other creators, you are able to provide value to each other and each other’s audiences.
- Discoverable Topics – Use trends to help decide what things people want to know about. Also, create content that will be searched for for years to come.
- Accessibility – Make sure each video can stand alone so that if people come in around the middle of your series, they grasp what the video is about. If it is serial content, make sure that you recap what they might have missed in past weeks.
- Consistent – Create content that can be spread over many episodes. Also, publish on a regular schedule and, once that is established, never miss a scheduled day.
- Targeted – Know your audience and focus your content to reach them.
- Converse with viewers – Ask for feedback and let your audience know that you are listening.
- Interactive – Make your audience part of your channel. You can share questions or maybe put their content in yours.
- Authenticity – Tell real-life or behind-the-scene stories. Viewers will connect with you when you’re real.
- Sustainability – Make sure you can keep creating content by carefully planning your budget and having people who can make it happen.
- Schedule Your Content – Plan out when your videos will be released when. Create a plan and map out potential different videos as well as when you think the best time to release each one would be.
- Optimize Your Content – In order to even attempt have success on YouTube, you need to create good content. Once you have good content, the next step is to have a good optimization strategy.
- Promote Your Content with Paid Media – It helps to have a strategy so that you reap the benefits of paid video views. You need to make sure that the paid media that you use is going to be in front of your target audience.
- Amplify Your Content with Social – Why do people seem to be attracted to online videos and web series? Because online video is a social medium in which the audience is able to interact with the video’s creator in ways that they aren’t able to with T.V. Because of this, you need to make sure you using social media to fullest potential.
- Measurement – Have ways to measure how your different tools, like optimization and content scheduling, are working for you. If you don’t measure it, you won’t know if what you are doing is truly effective.
Now you know how to make YouTube magic, what will your brand do to take your YouTube presence to the next level?