LinkedIn has been around for many years now, and maybe some of you created an account in the early days of 2004 like I did and just forgot about it, including the password. Then, later on you created a second account. Or maybe you used your business email as your primary email address and no longer work at that company. Either way, I am always hearing stories of people desperate to merge two LinkedIn accounts into one for various reasons, the most common being that they just can’t access one of their accounts anymore.
How can you merge two accounts linked to your name into one?
This is one bit of information that I did not include in my LinkedIn book, but they already answered this question back in 2007 in a blog post that they did on their top ten FAQ. It is interesting that three years later this still remains a popular question!
So, from the source, here is how you can merge two accounts into one:
“Unfortunately, we cannot merge two accounts but we’d recommend that you transfer all pertinent profile information to one account and close the other account. The easiest way for you to close an account is to email us. Please include the email addresses associated with each of the accounts and indicate the primary email address for the account you keep. Please note that you will lose all the information in the account you’re closing.”
In other words, you have to decide which of the two LinkedIn accounts that you want to keep as your main one going forward. If you forgot the password or changed the email address on one of the accounts and no longer have access to it, that is obviously the account that you want to delete. If you still have access to both accounts, it is probably in your best interests to keep the account with the most contacts and invite connections from the soon-to-be-deleted account into your main account.
Hope this answers this question once and for all! Anybody actually have any experience merging two LinkedIn Accounts into one? Please share how you did it!
Looking for more LinkedIn advice? Check these posts out!
- [Free Ebook] Maximizing LinkedIn for Business (Revised for 2018)
- Professional LinkedIn Profile Tips: A Checklist of 17 Must-Have Items
- LinkedIn Profile Tips: The 10 Mistakes You Want to Avoid and Why
- The Ultimate LinkedIn Profile Tips Summary [Infographic] + 8 Stats
- 5 Steps To Connect With People Outside Your Network On LinkedIn
- How Do I Disconnect from Someone on LinkedIn?
- What Do I Put in My LinkedIn Profile if I am a College Student?
- LinkedIn Account Restricted? You May Have Been Too Active on LinkedIn!
- What is a LinkedIn LION?
- 20 LinkedIn LIONs & Super Connectors You MUST Connect With!