I have been given the opportunity to visit Facebook later this month on a mission to better understand the world’s largest social network from within and gain their perspective on how they recommend businesses leverage their platform and service offerings. While I consult with businesses on how to utilize Facebook and other social media platforms, I have never had the opportunity to actually visit any of the companies behind the social networks and glean insight from their employees that might not be intuitive to businesses.
When I mentioned this on my own personal Facebook wall (I’ve embedded my post below for your viewing pleasure), I got a number of different Facebook questions asked by my friends. What I wanted to articulate to them – as I will point out to you – as I have no personal or emotional connections with any social network; on the contrary, I am on a mission to help my clients and all other businesses that I speak to or read my book genuinely derive more business value from their Facebook presence.
Below are the burning Facebook questions that I have based on my own social media strategy consulting experience. Do you have any others to add to the list? I plan to report back to all of my readers after my visit, so even if you don’t have any questions, stay tuned for my full report!
19 Facebook Questions to Ask
- More and more businesses feel that Facebook is becoming a “Pay to Play” platform, i.e. in order to be effective they need to advertise. How does Facebook see this? I understand as a business you need to generate revenue, but will those companies without larger advertising budgets be left out?
- While you’ve made Facebook Ads much easier for businesses to use, it would seem that those that can harness the Power Editor can be much more effective in their Facebook advertising. How do you segment these tools, what are the best tips for using the Power Editor, and what are your plans to integrate and/or enhance these tools in the future?
- Retargeting on Facebook through the Facebook Ad Exchange (AdRoll, et. al.) has become more and more popular but is still a hidden secret to many. What is your policy on this, and when should businesses utilize this form of advertising as opposed to advertising directly with Facebook?
- You’ve made great strides at both simplifying and enhancing your Insights tool for Facebook Page for business owners … bravo! What are your tips as to what data business owners should be analyzing, especially when it comes to optimizing for broader NewsFeed reach?
- I often say optimizing for the News Feed is very similar in concept to optimizing for Google Search. What should business owners understand about the technology-that-used-to-be-called Edgerank? And what other details and/or roadmap could you reveal about the algorithm? 😉 Are their ways I should write for engagement on Facebook?
- I’m a small business owner. 1) How often should I post on Facebook, and 2) What types of content should I post on Facebook? Probably the most common question I get asked!
- There are many posting (like Post Planner), analytical (like Komfo), and tab creation tools (like WooBox) that exist that integrate with Facebook. Yet Facebook offers its own posting and analytical capabilities. What is your policy on this? Do I need to use 3rd party tools to be successful on Facebook? If so, why?
- Facebook Graph Search: As a business, how should I utilize it?
- Hashtags on Facebook: Have they been successful? What’s the future for them? Is mainstream America ready to use hashtags or is it still limited primarily to “Twitter culture?”
- B2B Social Media Marketing and Facebook: Why should I market my B2B company as opposed to LinkedIn and/or Twitter?
- Social Selling and Facebook: Do you see this happening more? Why? Advice for B2B salespeople in using Facebook for business?
- Social Recruiting and Facebook: Do you see this happening more? Why? Advice for recruiters in using Facebook?
- Customer Service and Facebook: Is it the right platform for businesses to use for customer service?
- Product Development and Facebook: I can data mine public conversations on Twitter and find insight to help me develop new products or understand my audience better. I can’t seem to do this on Facebook … can I? With the advent of Big Data – but with privacy issues – what value can Facebook add to my business in this field?
- Employee Advocacy and Facebook: Can it be successful on Facebook compared to a LinkedIn, where people leave private lives on Facebook?
- How is Facebook used differently by business throughout the world? I always say how, in Japan, Facebook is very much like LinkedIn here. Any other examples?
- Last year Google acquired Wildfire and now offers a platform to help Google customers better market in Facebook as well as other platforms. Does Facebook have similar plans to create an enterprise social media marketing platform to allow businesses to better manage their Facebook as well as other social media presence?
- From a social media marketing perspective, should I be treating Instagram and Facebook as two completely different platforms? Will this change in the future?
- My last question is that I’d just love to hear anecdotal stories or case studies of businesses that have utilized Facebook as their key marketing platform and have achieved impressive ROI.
As you can see, the questions I have for Facebook cover not only the entire functionality that their platform provides but also the many ways a social business can be leveraging the site.
Do my questions cover yours? Let me know if you have one (or more!) to add!